This magnificent Gothic building was built over the ruins of an even more ancient church during the mid-14th century. A likely centralized Lombard-era church of Santa Maria in Corte in front of the Cathedral is mentioned in documents from 1114.
The decision to build this mainly Gothic-style building was made in 1303. The exterior sheath banded with marble of two colours was completed circa 1339 by Cellino di Nese. Construction lasted for many decades.